Saturday, October 18, 2014

Developing a Scene in Blue


I am having an Open Studio on Oct. 25 & 26. 11-5.
Below are early stages of the piece I am presently working on.
You are welcome to come to the studio to see where it's at now, far beyond what you see here.

Very early stage.

The earliest stage was basically just the dark and light blues, laid on with brush and plastic baggie. I then started seeing shapes in the lower right dark area. This space developed in a way that informed me what might be going on in the center of the piece, which is where you see the painting here... with just suggestions of activity throughout.

Next in the progression of early stages.

I have been picking up a bit more form and space by adding highlights and shadows in the central area. My main concern is that I want the center to feel active, a bit foreboding, and not ...

...well, fearful. This painting was inspired by a man who said he couldn't look at blue artwork. I have learned that not everyone can look at all colors. There appears to be multiple reasons why. This intrigues me, so I am now painting into all aspects of blue, from dark to light, trying to reveal the beauty within the shadows and highlights of this color.

As with everything I make, I do not expect a certain outcome, but instead am intrigued by what is revealed one day to the next... and sometimes it is just a torrential argument with the paint. Ironically, these difficult areas often provide the depth my painting craves. Such is life, yes?